Sunday, November 22, 2015

Break-Ups vs. Hibernation

Most of us have been there at one time or another. You just got dumped. Moving on isn't always pretty. 

As I head into my third week of hibernation, I can't help but think that hibernation and break-ups are the same. After all, we are breaking up with everything athletic...

Stage 1: Sad 

Sometimes you can see a break-up coming and there is nothing you can do about it except wait for impact. That's how this hibernation came. I knew it was inevitable and no matter how much I put up a fight to try and stop it, there was nothing I could do. 

1. You go through your everyday routine, but realize something is missing: 


2. Your friends call to check up on you and you answer the phone from your built up pillow fort in bed like: 

3. Whenever anyone asks what your plans are for the night you're like: 

Stage 2: Bargaining 
In the first few days of the breakup, you bargain-- you try to win that person back. For me, I sent e-mails and texts to Dan, bargaining, telling him how much this sucks and how I don't want to do it. 

Stage 3: Anger 
Then comes anger. There is nothing you can do to change what has happened, so you get angry. You either curl up in bed, cry, and eat lots of ice cream AND/OR you get angry but every little thing around you. For me...both. 

1. You check Strava and see that all your non-hibernation friends are going on rides and runs, and you're like: 

 2. Day three, and you realize you still have 18 days left of this: 

Stage 4: Acceptance 
You know, some relationships aren't meant to last forever. Sometimes you need to grow, learn and heal before a new one begins. It may hurt, but in the end, it's probably for the best. 


Stage 5: Just kidding, I want to get back together! 
Yes, I may still have one week of hibernation left, but I am going to enjoy my 11 hours of sleep a night. I am going to enjoy my endless tub of ice cream. I am going to enjoy healing my body from last season and prepare for next season. And when that time comes, I will embrace triathlon with open arms! 


No comments:

Post a Comment