Friday, November 10, 2017

Ironman Florida

The Weeks Leading Up:
I’m not going to lie and say that the weeks leading up to IMFL were easy because they weren’t. They were awful. Mentally I was fried and just looking for a faster way to hibernation, and physically, my body was hurting. I was moving really fast in my HR zones but that eventually took a toll and things began to hurt worse. A lot of recovery, rolling, yoga and PT were necessary. Typically for me, overload is my favorite time out of the season because it produces great results for me, and I’m one that loves my workout data, but that was not the case this time around. My first overload and taper this year was before Raleigh 70.3 and I pulled so many PR’s…this time around, I pulled none. I did manage my longest rides and runs of the season, and was finally able to pull together a solid time in my 200 and 800 TT in the pool. I will say though, I could not have gotten through overload without the help of my amazing friends, Austin & Nicole, and my boyfriend, Chris. The three of them were there for all the laughs and tears that came with the long rides and Chris was by my side providing emotional support on my long rides every week. Going into overload, I didn’t think running a marathon was going to be possible for me. After overload, despite a broken down body and mind, I knew that I was going to crush that marathon. Taper was pretty uneventful, which is important. I consistently felt like poo which is really good (not sarcastic at all) to racing well. Having 8 years of high school and college swimming and tapers under my belt, I knew that if I didn’t feel like crap, it meant something was wrong. Crap feelings meant that I was going to rock it.
Shaving Party!! 

Week Of:
I am so incredibly thankful that I had Meghan and Chris to travel to Florida with. Last year I was a Sherpa for Meghan’s first ever Ironman and I absolutely loved it. Over the past two years, she has been a truly amazing friend, training partner, listener to all my whining about training, supporter and cheerleader. Having her with me during the race gave me a sense of calming since she knew the pain that I would endure come race day. Having Chris there was incredible, as well. When we first met about four months ago, he was taking a break from training and after talking, he started training again. However, he didn’t just start training, he started training with me. So many of my workouts were completed with my boyfriend by my side supporting me, cheering me and pushing me; in our three months together, I pushed more power on the bike than I have ever been able to and run a pace (while comfortably in zone!) that I didn’t think was possible in that HR zone. He knew that I had put in the work and it was time to show the world what I could do. My parents and aunt and uncle were going to come and join us in Florida later in the week. Also, knowing that I was going to be amongst some other Richmond triathletes, including teammate Graham Sheppard, and friend Danny Royce, made my nerves calm. While I’m giving shout-outs to people, the biggest thanks goes to Dan Szajta, my friend and coach. Without him, none of this would be possible. I’ve been his athlete for three years and I never once regret that decision. His coaching method has done absolute wonders for me and in that moment of getting to Florida, I knew that I was going to race the best that I could in that moment because he had prepared me so well.

We left for Florida at 5:30am on Wednesday morning and tackled the 13 hour drive together with lots of fun and laughter. Meghan told me to look at the GPS and notice when we would have 140.6 miles left in our drive and note that distance as that would be what I would get to accomplish on Saturday.
Food and exercise were in the forefront of our minds upon arriving to our amazing condo in Panama City Beach. The three of us went for an easy 3 mile shake out run before heading to Walmart for some food to cook.

What a stud
Thursday morning we were up and Chris and I went to ride and run a smidge just to make sure the bike was ready to roll and my legs were still feeling like crap. All systems ahead, things were feeling “good.” We had some brunch and headed to packet pick-up where the line was absolutely insane and took forever to get through, but the thought of swimming in the gulf afterwards made things worth it…until I got into the gulf. Let me start by saying that growing up in Columbus, Ohio, going to school in Grand Rapids, Michigan and then moving to Richmond, Virginia does not prepare one well to tackle the waves that the Gulf of Mexico have to offer. I was so frustrated so quickly into our “washing machine swim” and said so many times that I wouldn’t be able to do this. I think for me, I put so much pressure on myself, as a swammer, to excel in that discipline, so the thought that the waves were going to make it that much harder for me was not making me feel good. While Chris and I were flopping around, Meghan was on the beach talking to a local, who she asked if he could speak with us regarding how to get out past the break. “You can’t beat the waves, but you can go under the waves,” was one of the key points that I remembered from what he said. Get used to the rhythm of the waves and determine how many strokes it takes between them before diving under the wave. It’s all about the rhythm. Thanks for finding that guy, Meghan. The rest of Thursday was for bag prep and relaxing.

Friday was the final preparations. My parents came in that morning and got to experience Ironman Village (which is different from the atmosphere of Ironman 70.3) and bag and bike drops. The day was quickly warming up and I needed to get back to sitting (Dan’s orders!) so we returned to the condo and planned Sherpa routes, and played lots of cards.

Race Morning
The entire season I was unable to find my perfect race morning breakfast, but looking back on it now, I think the Belgian waffle that I had Chris whip up for me at 4:45am was on pointe; it filled my belly and gave me a starch to sit well. Alongside the waffle, one banana and my first (of so many) bottles of Salted Caramel Infinit.

Transition was a mad house, but I was thankful for the 25-29 year old women at my bike rack who were game to help me pump air into my tires and get some laughs in before everyone went their own ways. To say nerves were on my mind was an understatement. I was gripping Chris’s hand and begging that he wasn’t going to let go of it. We were waiting on the beach and I decided not to get a warmup swim in just because it was so dark still. I wanted to use that time to spend with my parents, aunt and uncle and Meghan and Chris. Typical race mornings I’m not nervous, I’m pumped, I’m ready to go, but a full ironman is something massive to wrap you mind around. My uncle hugged me and told me he was so proud of me that he could cry. I told him I could, too, but for other reasons. 
It was finally time to line up in the chute. I aligned myself in the 60 minute or less swim group, just behind Danny Royce. I said a prayer and the cannon sounded, designating the start of my first ever Ironman!

Swim: 1:01:26
For having to fight through the waves and the people until the break line, I am happy with this time. Sure, I could do faster in a lake or river, but Ironman is meant to test your body with the hard, not the easy. So, the waves and the sheer amount of people tested me. On my first loop of two, I honestly couldn’t see a single buoy the entire time. The sun had JUST rose, so it was dark, there were a lot of people splashing and the waves were still pretty big, making sighting the buoys nearly impossible for me. So, I did something I never do: I put my faith in the people in front of me and followed them. They, thankfully, knew where they were going.

I checked my watch as I hit the beach at the end of lap one: 28:52. Solid. I then proceeded to
take my time entering the water for the second time, allowing my HR a time to lower before settling into the swim again. This loop was harder than the first because I had the end of the train to pass, and many of them were swimming breaststroke, so I got kicked several times. About halfway into the second lap, in combination of being kicked and the waves, I actually got sick and threw up (I do get sea sick), but that didn’t stop me.

I rode the waves in as far as the sand would allow me to before standing up. A man behind me saw me reaching for my wetsuit cord and asked if I was taking it off, I nodded, and he helped, while we both moved up the beach, bring it down to my waist. Thank you kind athlete.
The wetsuit strippers were my next location and then I was off to transition.

T1: 4:51
I need to shout out to the volunteers of the transition, they took care of me! It all happened so fast, but I couldn’t have moved that fast without the lady helping me!

Bike: 5:31:09
Stick to your plan. Stay in your box. Don’t let the people around you influence what you are doing; three things that I remember always in my pacing plan and I stick to so well. This bike was on pointe in terms of my ride. I stuck to the plan and tried so hard to stay to my set HR (although it ended being a little higher) but I felt so good and knew I could hold that effort the entire way. The night before, Meghan had prepped my water bottles all so I knew how much I had to squeeze out at every aid station before squeezing a bottle of water into it. Having to carry fewer bottles was great (something Dan has been telling me to do for years now) and gave me another way to focus on how much fluid I should be taking in. I will say the one thing I did not accomplish on the bike was peeing. I spent all my long rides before the race trying to pee and I was unsuccessful. I drank so much liquid but I couldn’t get over that mental barrier of it. Other than being unsuccessful in that arena, I will say that is the best I have felt on the bike in a long time. I knew what I had to do and I executed that. I was also getting really annoyed by the amount of drafting that was happening around me. I made sure I was away from all the groups that passed me because the officials were out and penalizing people. It’s illegal, so why do it? I got so frustrated that I actually called a guy out for it and he immediately backed off. Penalty tents were full every time I passed them.

At special needs station; I looked at my time and noticed that I went my typical 70.3 split: 2:44. That’s what I needed to see. Grabbed new nutrition, a snickers bar and I was off. I contemplated using the porta potty but I didn’t want to waste more time doing that (I now regret that decision).
I had Chris out on course at a few stops and I loved having him there for the support. The bike was not at all spectator friendly, so having a familiar face cheering was great on the morale. Every time I saw him I yelled something at it, one, that Graham got a flat (sorry, man!) two, that I needed to go to the bathroom, and three, that I was going so fast (because I was)! Coming back into the city I was excited to get to use the bathroom and start my run to see the rest of my support on course!

T2: 3:50
Thank you rock star volunteers for the speediness of transition and cheering me on before I ran off to relieve myself (honestly a huge stressor in my race), and then I was off.

Run: 4:31:13
Prior to this race, the longest run I had ever done was 16 miles and that was a training run. Leading up to the race, it was clearly the most anxiety causing aspect of the race because I had to run another 10 miles onto that, but I was ready for it. Nutrition had been spot on, I knew my plan, and I knew that if I was hurting I could always look forward to the mandated stops at aid stations to collect myself before continuing on. My goal for the marathon was to not stop to walk, other than the aid stations, and I accomplished that. I do not for a second believe that I ran this marathon to the best of my ability but I do know how I can run it better in the future. It’s my first Ironman, I can’t be hard on myself for what I didn’t do and could’ve done better since it was my first. I see it as a learning experience for how to better myself next time (which will be IM Lake Placid).

I started off with my first mile being too fast. Dan warned me about this, so I quickly tried to reduce my pace in hopes that my HR would fall…I was unsuccessful until mile 8 or 9 and by that time, I felt like it was too late. Nutrition and aid stations were right on track, and I was still feeling good. I took water and poured it over my head and got ice to put down my sports bra every aid station in attempts to keep my body cool as the Florida sun warmed us up quick. I saw some of my support on the back half of the first loop and I saw my parents followed by my ridiculous boyfriend in a speedo and a green feather boa as I headed into special needs. I felt refreshed seeing them and going through special needs. I decided to take Advil at special needs because I knew I would start hurting later on, but it didn’t kick in fast enough. Around mile 14-17, the sunglasses came down from my head and onto my eyes. Before the race I prepped my support and said if the sunglasses were ever on my face, then I was hurting and covering up tears. I went into a dark place during that time and just pushed through as best as I could until I found Meghan. She knew and she began talking to me, telling me that she had spoken to Dan and he said he’s proud of me, to stay relaxed and keep getting nutrition in. By that point, my side stiches were overwhelming but I kept on shuffling. After several miles with Meghan, and shuffling 12:00/mile pace, the stitches went away and I was off and running faster, brining my HR back up. At mile 20, I knew that this was where the real race started. I picked it up the first two miles but decided it was too quick, so slowed down a tad and kept on running.

Everyone told me to smile and have fun, so my last 4 miles, despite the amount of pain my legs were in, I made sure I had a smile on my face and thanked the aid stations for being great to me. I made the turn to the finisher chute and I had the biggest smile on my face, I was going to be an Ironman and in a fashion that got me to the finish before the sun went down! I didn’t even hear my family and friends cheering for me…the red carpet and the bright lights were shining into my eyes and I couldn’t believe it. Margaret Rechel (they said my last name right!!!) YOU. ARE. AN. IRONMAN!!!!!

Final Time: 11:12:29
What an incredible experience. I had fun, I smiled, I learned a lot, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I had amazing support on course, including a few shirtless guys in speedos, and I accomplished something that I didn’t think I would be able to. I hurt badly afterwards but I knew immediately that I wanted to do more! I loved it. That is the challenge that I sought out when I joined this sport and it’s a good thing that I am signed up for another one, because I want another chance at it.


What’s next for me?
Hibernation. Mandated three weeks off of training, thank goodness. My mind and body need a time to heal and just do things I haven’t been able to do in the past 11 months of training—like sleeping in! Training starts back up the Monday after Thanksgiving and I will bury myself into the challenge that triathlon provides me, because just like swimming once made me the happiest, triathlon now provides me joy, bliss and happiness. It challenges my being to the core and I wouldn’t change that for the world. I have amazing friends in the sport with me to support me and train with me, I have an amazing boyfriend who is in the sport and has huge goals of his own and I have a coach that believes in me and pushes me to my limits because he knows I can do better. 2018 will be a great year. How do I know? Because 2016 was better than 2015, and 2017 was better than 2016. With GrnMchn Multisports, my success just keeps on growing.

Giddy Up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment