Wednesday, December 14, 2016

2017 Season Goals


I'm not sure why sharing goals is so hard for me to do. I remember back in high school, I'd write my goals for just me to see on a note card and keep it on my bedside table. In college, I wrote them down and posted them on my bulletin board behind my computer, so that every time I sat down to do homework or use my computer, I'd see them staring at me. What I've come to realize is that if I don't share them, they could always change and I could settle for a time that's not quite what I wanted to go, but it would do. By sharing my goals, I am keeping all of you accountable for me; I can't change them once I publicize them, I can only train hard (the right way!), stay focused on my goals and if they're meant to be, they'll be achieved. So, this year, I have some big goals I'm going after, and I hope that each and everyone of you will continue to support and challenge me, the way that I do for most of you. Let's begin.

1) Stay Healthy
     This was my first goal that I set for myself last year and I think it's really important, especially for an accident and injury prone athlete, like myself. This goal is broad, so I'll break it down.
       A) Knee: Sometimes I think that because my knee doesn't hurt when I run, I don't have to do physical therapy, then weeks later, I get pain and realize, oops, should've done PT, then have to play the catch up game. I want to make the time to do PT AT LEAST 3 times a week. I can't use the 'I'm too tired' or 'I have to do homework excuse.' I can easily do my PT while I listen to a lecture or electronic reading. I can't sacrifice my hard work for something I could've prevented.
       B) Nutrition: Dan tells me I can't go as far as I want if I continue to eat the amount of sugar and sweets that I do. So, I have worked out a great plan that I've done well with over the past few months. I don't eat sweets during my block, but after each and every test/race, I get to reward myself, the Monday after, with a Pearls cupcake. One cupcake every month, I can handle that.

2) Be the motivation and inspiration that my friends need me to be
My athletic career isn't dependent on my success; a lot of it is driven by being there and being an inspiration and help to my friends who are in it with me. They have supported me when I have needed it most, so I wish to do the same thing to them. :)

3) Ride Sub 2:38 in 56 miles
This goal is back in action. The closest I got in the 2016 season was 2:46, so I have my work set out for me, but I'm up for the challenge. With my power based strength workouts, as well as steady Z1 rides, I am excited to see what this season brings in bike improvements. I've felt that I've only made small drops and improvements the past few years and am ready for a solid performance on the bike.

4) Run Sub 1:40 in Half Marathon
Without believing I could, I ran a 1:44 at the Richmond Half Marathon. With the same training and the confidence and belief that I can, I'm excited to see this goal come to life.

5) Qualify for 70.3 Worlds
It's a lofty goal, but I believe if I get my training right and my head in the game I can get close enough to one of those spots. First chance will be in April, not a lot of time, but just have to trust the process, trust the coach and put in the work. Dream big, right?

6) Compete an Ironman 
Clearly it's a big season, but I'm prepared for everything that it has to offer. I want to continue to build on the awesome season that 2016 provided and not only try and qualify for worlds, but also compete in my first ever Ironman...nothing says dedication like a late season Ironman of Florida!

7) Be the best Student Athlete I can be
Not only do I work full time and train 18-20 hours a week, I am a full time student. I'm crazy busy but if I wasn't, I wouldn't have the grades that I do. Whether this means I make
time limits on when workouts must be done with before starting homework, or giving up an outdoor ride so that I can camp out on my trainer while I listen to hours of lectures, I will do it. I don't just want to be the best athlete that I can be, I also want to be the best student that I can be. The two marry very well, if you have the patience and time management for them, and that will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!

Conclusion
I have a long season ahead, but I'm going at it as smart and as hard hitting as I can. I mean business with my athletic, student, and friend goals. I want to be the best version of me and even if I don't accomplish the goals listed here, I will know that I tried my hardest and I gave it all I had. But for now, we have four months until Ironman Florida 70.3. Giddy up!

No comments:

Post a Comment