Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Ironman Florida 70.3

I'm back to race reports, which means it's my favorite time of the year - triathlon season! I love competing and always trying to better myself, so with every race, I get to see the progress made from the previous block.

The block leading up to this race wasn't ideal for me as I started back at physical therapy, for my hip this time, which has been having some weakness and stability problems (I hear that's a very typical runners problem). So, with limited running I couldn't be getting in everything I needed. However, my swimming and biking had been getting real strong. Last season, I complained about how lonely it was to be riding and training by myself during weekend workouts, but this season I have been extremely blessed to have found two amazing athletes who I now consider great friends and training partners. Nicole, a swammer from University of Richmond, has trained with me in all three sports but has really meant a lot to me on long rides! I met Austin through giving private lessons to him under Endorphin Fitness and he has become a friend and great cycling and running training partner to me; his first triathlon ever is quickly approaching, as well! Austin also bought Zeke, my old TT from me, so I enjoy keeping that bike in the family! So, in terms of having company, competition, fun and friends in the sport, I certainly have advanced from last year! I certainly cannot forget my swim buddies, as well. Solo swimming is so challenging, but both Jay and Jessie from Peluso Open Water Masters stay after their own practice to get another 3-4k LCM in with me. Having the two of them have been great in whipping my butt back into shape!

Continuing the theme from last years rest and test weeks, the week leading up to Florida was finals week for school, but was thankful that I only had one, so the stress levels were great...other than me getting bit by an unvaccinated cat at work...that was fun. Good news was that I didn't have to get my rabies vaccine!

The Friday before the race, Meghan, Katelyn and I packed the bikes and car up and were on the road at 4:00am to begin our 11.5 hour drive to Florida. Somehow, with fun, laughter and music, the ride didn't feel that bad, as we were all very excited to get there. I had gotten a house on airbnb for all of us, which was awesome and huge! It was the perfect house, I thought. Meghan, Katelyn and I cued our inner child to sleep in the Spiderman bedroom. On Friday evening, when everyone had made it safely to Florida, we had a bike maintenance and cleaning party, Kahu was looking real sexy and ready to roll!

Saturday 
We got to check in promptly at 9am, then proceeded to get all our final spins and jogs out before heading to the water for a practice swim. While everyone crammed into their wetsuits, I went into the water in just my swimsuit and never felt so good, however, knew that the next morning would have to wear one. After a swim, bike and run, we all piled into the car so that we could drive the course and we determined it would be a fast course! In the car, you never quite get the feel for how hilly the hills are, so we clearly misjudged the back half of the course until we were actually on them.
All exhausted, we headed back to the house and went our own ways in preparing for the little swim, little bike and little run that we had the next day.

Race Day
I strayed away from the famous banana bites that I typically have before races and had two cinnamon raisin bagels, three bananas and one bottle of Infinit and called it a breakfast. Race mornings are different for everyone, I try to stay quiet while I prepare my things in transition, then let loose and allowed the excitement and nerves to go through my body. My excitement came out when we were walking to the lake and I saw my aunts and uncles waiting for me! This was their first ever triathlon and I loved that they were there! We got some photos in the wetsuits before breaking up between the swimmers vs non swimmers of the group. The swimmers went to warm up at the outdoor pool before heading back to the lake for the start of the race.

Swim (30:15) 
The last thing Nicole said to me before the horn sounded was that she's not great at swimming in a straight line, and after the horn sounded, I got to witness that first hand. The first 300 yards or so were a blood bath between the two of us (which she was oblivious to) and the other girls around us. Nicole whacked my head and my right side of the goggles slid down my face a bit, but thankfully didn't come off. I tried to find some feet to draft off of, because Dan says that's the best way to do a swim, but I was unsuccessful in doing so. For most of the swim, I was next to a swimmer in my age group. It became apparent very quickly that I couldn't get into a smooth stroke by the amount of people that were in front of me. I was just gobbling up all the colors of the rainbow in front of me, including swimming over and kicking a few while I was at it.
I swam until I couldn't swim anymore and I stood up and not soon after that, the volunteers were shouting that there was a dip before the exit of the lake and I sank down into almost quicksand, which slowed me down quite a bit. No wetsuit strippers, so I was on my own for taking my wetsuit off, which is definitely an area that needs improvement.

T1: 2:48 
I think transitions are something that I do very well at (other than the wetsuit problem) and I don't spend unnecessary time in there. I did have to sit to get the wetsuit off before throwing is against the fence, grabbing Kahu and moving out of transition.

Bike: 2:44:20 
Nothing like a 2 minute PR on the bike to start out your season! The first few miles out of transition on this course were rough just by the amount of turns, so I wasn't down in aero much, but once I knew I made the last turn for awhile, I settled into my aero bars and went to work. It didn't seem hard that first half though, I just made my way a long the course, passing some people and staying within what my plan told me to do. The one thing that was bad during this was my second nutrition bottle that was questionable. So, as you know, I have very serious food allergies, so the night before the race I made sure to pack all my bottles with my nutrition, and made it a point to not use team GRN MCHN bottles so there was no doubt that my bottles were mine while everyone else was using the team bottles. On the bike, I grabbed for my second bottle and tasted it, and I can say without a doubt it was not Infinit. I had a battle between myself on the bike then and there; do I drink it and risk reacting a few days later, or do I not and risk bonking. Clearly in the heat of the race, I decided I wasn't going to bonk, so I drank the mystery nutrition that was in my bottle...three days later I had a reaction, but I made it through my bike and in record time (for me)! The back half the bike was rough with the wind and the hills, but seeing my aunts and uncles on one of the hills was such a hoot and got me smiling and working harder! I spent the majority of the ride with the same 44 year old man, we were back and forth with each other for probably the back 40 miles, so mentally that was good to have for me.

T2: 2:23 
This was a struggle for me, and I surprised that I got out as quickly as I did. After I dismounted, I began my run into transition with my bike, when I slipped and Kahu came crashing down on the ground and I caught myself before I hit the ground. The spectators loved it and I tried so hard for it not to affect me. I got to my bike rack and noticed that I was the second back on my rack. Tried to hang Kahu up and he fell, again, and so did the chain. I put him back up, more secure, grabbed my shoes and other run things and set out in the heat for my run.

Run: 1:59:10 
I'll be totally honest and say that I'm not in the slightest happy about this run. But I do have to remember back to my block leading up to this and how I wasn't running much and I could feel it. The run was a three loop course and every loop started with a great big hill that started for me at an 8:00/mile pace to a 9:30/mile pace to a 10:15/mile pace. I was just making it and I dug so deep within in me to not stop and walk up the hills. I was hot and my legs wouldn't move anymore than they were, and that's how my whole run went. I told myself just push through until you see your family, who were strategically spread out over the 4 mile loop. They knew I was hurting, so every time I saw them, they cheered louder. I stayed positive and I encouraged the athletes who were walking around me and I did the best that I could do. Stating that, I have to be happy with it, as in that moment, my body couldn't do any better, I just have room for improvement.

Overall: 5:18:56
Overall time, 5 minute PR off of my fully tapered time from last fall, so huge improvement from a non tapered, sore and hurt body, that's not bad! I definitely have my things to focus and work on come Raleigh time, but I am excited that I opened up the season with a bang, and had family there to support me! I couldn't have done any of what I do out on that course without Dan, so I owe huge thanks to him. Also, a huge thanks goes out to my family for coming and cheering and for Nicole, Meghan and Katelyn for being great friends, great teammates and great training partners. The sport wouldn't be as fun without all three of you!
I have Rev3 Westfields Sprint coming up in two weeks and then taper season will start for Raleigh 70.3 and my big goals that come with that race. I thank everyone for the support they continue to give me. Giddy up!

No comments:

Post a Comment