Saturday, January 23, 2016

Base-Recovery Week

I must say by the time base-recovery phase comes around I am loving it. I don't see how much training takes a toll on me until I get a rest day where I go to sleep at 8pm and sleep twelve hours. It's kind of magical how my legs come back and I don't feel so sluggish. This week only consisted of three workouts- Strength and Swim and a Z1 Short Run. Why not many workouts, you ask? Because I got my wisdom teeth taken out, of course!

However, I made a breakthrough with my runs last week (which I didn't post about), that I am very excited for. HR training is challenging and it has been very difficult and frustrating for me to learn, however with my first ever run above one hour last week taught me that I am headed towards the right direction, although still running very slowly.

Dan has been trying to teach me that you have to have this gradual rise in your heart rate opposed to being all over the place (which I had been). Below is of a run I did a month ago. My HR, as seem is all over the place, going up and down all the time.

This run below is my run from Sunday, my most successful HR progression to date. The two large spikes being my 30 second pick ups, which you see I maintained well after. I am learning and I am seeing the process. My biggest question is that of how do I negative split my runs like Meghan and Dan do, and also how do I go from running this slow to running fast, but that is all part of trusting the process even more. 

Wisdom Teeth Removal: 
Over the past couple of months I have had this horrible sensation that my wisdom teeth were coming through, and lone and behold, my top left tooth began breaking it's way through the gum, causing me much pain. I now understand why babies cry when they are teething...it hurts! I went to the dentist for a consultation a few weeks ago and we decided I was going to get it removed. Removal date: January 21, 2016--Base-Recovery Week. Perfect!


I wish I could tell you more about my surgery, but I remember taking my drugs before surgery, sitting down and getting a mask and being told to breathe, then sitting on my couch back at home. My roommate, Emily, says I was talking a lot in the car and was very excited about how many texts and phone calls I received, none of which I remember reading or texting back.

However, having a med student for a roommate is wonderful. She continues to take care of me and tell me when I can take the drugs, continue icing and to swish salt water...and tells me that I can't do anything active, which in turn is kind of great because we have about a foot of snow that needs shoveled and I have been exempted from it, but also means that I can't do workouts or my time trial tomorrow.


Pain Med Nightmares:
I give it the pain meds for these insane and very vivid dreams that I am having at night. Last night, was my first triathlon related nightmare. I was running a full distance ironman and the transition area was a nightmare...more like a maze. All my friends and teammates were finding the exit but I couldn't find my way out. I was stuck and I panicked. I think this dream might have something to do with the fact I am not allowed to work out until I am healed from this surgery. I have been wearing the same clothes since the snow started, and have been on the couch and on my bed the whole time. I am going stir crazy and the thought that everyone else is training while I am not is making my mind think I am going to be behind. But of course, like a good coach, Dan tells me "You're consistent enough. You'll be absolutely fine. Last thing you need is dry sockets."

Training will continue again after I am 'healed,' so once my chipmunk cheek is less swollen and I am able to dig my car out of the snow drift that is currently under, I will be back and working hard. For now, recovery shall continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment