Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Celiac Disease: 1 Year Later (And How I Still Fuel my Sport)

Excerpt from My Messy Masterpiece, Dated February 9, 2015:

“Remember that time when I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease? (After 5 previous food allergies diagnoses)…So you can see my life has been crazy. Reading labels, convincing myself that I am doing this because I’m healthy, and I was! I joked around with my sister that by the time I was thirty, I would be allergic to every preservative, forcing me to eat totally organic and unprocessed food…I had never thought about what allergy might come next…but it did. For four months I was sick. I was tired, my skin itched and itched and I would scratch until skin came off, I had night sweats, I couldn’t sleep at night, my body ached all the time. It may sound ridiculous, but I thought I had cancer. I went to the doctor and they ran every lab they could think of…Two weeks later I got a phone call. I was devastated. I had celiac disease. How am I supposed to eat no grains with five other preservative allergies? I still can’t tell you the answer.”

Today, January 12, 2016, marks the one year anniversary of my diagnosis of having Celiac Disease, something that shook my world and made my rethink if I could be an athlete based on my nutrition options. I must say that the first few months certainly weren’t easy. I lost a record breaking twelve pounds which I didn’t have to lose in the first place. I skipped meals because most times I just didn’t know what I could eat or was scared to try something new. This was no life for anyone, especially an athlete who was still working out twenty hours a week. I became tired from not fueling myself properly and became very self conscious about my body weight, so I sought out my best friend, also a Celiac friend, and recruited her help in introducing me to the ways of the gluten free lifestyle. Having her and her mother, a Trader Joe’s employee, were my saving graces in my first few months of this lifestyle. I learned the best (and worst) kinds of bread out there, how I cannot eat anything even processed in a wheat factory, how much I love polenta, how Joe-Joes actually resemble something close to an Oreo and how I can still be an endurance athlete while having tremendous misfortune in the nutrition department.

Years ago, there were not nearly as many options as there are today, so my friend grew to only like one or two things, where as me, I got to try a variety of breads and pastas to determine what I like the best. Having been a swimmer my whole life, I was well acquainted with the high protein and high carb diet. My first choice of breakfast was toast. My first choice of lunch was a sandwich on delicious homemade bread, and my choice of dinner was pasta and meatballs with a side of my best friend Claire’s homemade French bread. I ate gluten all the time and I don’t think I realized that until it was taken away from me. So, I had to learn that my first choice of breakfast was eggs and protein smoothie, for lunch I had deconstructed tuna salad or ham sandwich without the bread with a side of fruit, and for dinner I had a large portion of protein with copious amounts of rice and vegetables. That lifestyle got old as that was the only thing I ever ate, so I knew I had to reach out and look for how I could continue to live the high protein and high carb diet.

Don’t get your hopes up, I’m still looking. I can nail the high protein one to a tee, but the high carb is something I still struggle with simply because it is so pricey. Gluten free lifestyles are so expensive, especially for the young working professional with not large amounts of money. So, rice is my solution. Lots and lots of rice. I buy gluten free bread about once a month and love it when my parents buy me gluten free pasta or quinoa because that stuff is upwards to $5 a box.

I’m not going to lie and say that my life as a gluten free athlete is 100% solved, but it is so much better than before. I have a healthy community of those who continue to help me through the uncertainties and the recipe trying, I have a better understanding of what I need to look for in labels when it is unclear whether it says gluten free or not and I have gained ten of those twelve pounds back. I don’t complete workouts if I know I don’t have sufficient nutrition in my body and sometimes I will be five minutes late to work if it means I have to cook one more egg so that I can get my calories back in. I will say the greatest resource to me thus far has been the wondrous world of Pinterest. From a procrastination tool, and a way to plan my future life, to a resource I rely on thoroughly, it has provided numerous amounts of recipes and education for a newbie, like me, to Celiac Disease.

So what does the lifestyle of an endurance triathlete with six food allergies look like (I only chose my favorites, this is not the whole list):

Breakfasts:





Famous Banana Bites that have swept the triathlon world (My own creation)

 

Snacks:

Banana Bites

LaraBars


 

Lunch:

Leftovers from Dinner

Made Ahead Chicken, Potatoes and Veggies



 

Dinner:





 

Training Nutrition:


 

So one year later I’m healthier when dealing with this diagnosis, but I’m not perfect. I still seek out nutrition products and recipes that can fuel what I do both before, during and after. I’m always up for breaking the stereotype of gluten free products only ever tasting like cardboard. I didn’t choose this lifestyle, so I should be able to at least choose what I am eating and make sure that it’s delicious and can keep up with my training.  

No comments:

Post a Comment