Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Goals of the Season

I've never been open about sharing my goals; I think it's about fear of letting others down if I make it public. If it's just me or me and my coach knowing, it's less people. However, there are bonuses to people knowing, such as accountability and encouragement. So, I'm going to do something a little different and share my goals with you.

1. Get Healthy
This may seem vague, but I have two subsections to this one.
      a) Knee and Achilles- I'm still diligent about my Physical Therapy and working with Lori and Dan. I'm seeing definite improvements but I want to be healthy and have a great season that involves me running.
      b) Nutrition has always been hard and it's getting more challenging with the more things I'm allergic to. Eating proper foods to fuel my sport is hard by having so many allergies makes it that much more challenging. I frequently find myself underweight and having to eat A LOT to bump myself up. My goal is to remain a healthy weight by eating healthy, nutritious and good food for the amount of working out I do.

2. Run a 10K Without Stopping 
This may seem small, but I have never done this...and I'm going for a 70.3 (or 3). This past season was supposed to be my season where I competed in my first ever Olympic distance triathlon. It was my first Olympic distance aqua bike, so that leaves me still with never having run a 10k. It's the small things.

3. Run faster than a 1:50 half marathon 
This is an 8:20 pace or faster. This is hard to to figure out whether it's obtainable or not because of where I am in running, but I was taught to reach high for your dreams even if it takes years.

4. Sub 2:38 Bike Split for 56 Miles
At Timberman this past season, I rode a low 2:50, so on the right course, I should be able to do this.

5. Work on My Stubbornness and Trust the Process
Dan has Kona under his belt--what do I have to prove? He clearly knows what he is talking about --trust him and don't be so defensive or fail to accept the changes he makes in my plan. I've been stubborn my whole life, it's a gene that I definitely got from my grandfather. It's not something I'm proud of and something I continue to struggle with and learn from. I'm stubborn and get defensive when my views on how I currently do something needs to be altered. However, I just had a breakthrough in my running and truly feel that I'm getting there and it's because I'm trusting the process.

Summary
Now, I'm telling you these not because I want you tracking and analyzing my races, but because I want you to know that these are my goals. I won't try extra hard to make these happen, especially when my training isn't about times and paces, more about heart rate. Dan tells me they will come with time. My goals are directly related to me trusting the process. Trust the process and put in the work and success and goals will come. For the ones I can control, I need to be more confident in my coach and trust him that he won't lead me astray. When this happens, there will be less stubbornness and more success.

No comments:

Post a Comment